James M. Chesloe, LTD
5650 S. Brainard Ave, Suite 250
Countryside, IL 60525
Map & Directions

Call us for a
FREE initial consultation

(708) 579-5353

Hi! I'm Jim!
  Home    Firm Overview    My Profile    Practice Areas    Email Me    Resources
    Over 27 Years of Experience
Family Law


Criminal Law


Adoption Guardianship Paternity Domestic Violence & Orders Of Protection Postnuptial Agreements Prenuptial Agreements
Legal Separation Divorce Uncontested Divorce Post-Divorce Issues Child Custody/Visitation Child/Spousal Support Property Division

Becoming a Legal Guardian


A person may be granted guardianship of a minor, a senior citizen or a person with disabilities. Seeking and obtaining guardianship is a legal process with the guardian appointed by the court.

There are several types of guardianship an experienced family law attorney can assist with including permanent and short-term guardianships. There are also many different scenarios in which a temporary or permanent guardian may be necessary:

  • A parent concerned about their ability to take care of their children may want to appoint a temporary guardian in the case of illness or a permanent guardian in the event of the parent’s death.
  • A senior citizen unable to pay their bills or make medical decisions may be in need of a guardian.
  • The adult victim of a car accident who suffered a traumatic brain injury may need a guardian to help manage their care and finances.

The responsibilities of a guardian may include providing housing, food and medical care. It may also include handling the estate of the person deemed in need of a guardian.

The removal of a guardian is also a legal process. If an appointed guardian is not acting in the best interest of the person they have been given responsibility to protect, the court may remove them and appoint a successor or find the ward is able to manage their own affairs.

If you are considering appointing a guardian, have a situation in which a guardian should be appointed or have a guardian who is not fulfilling their responsibilities, contact me.

The Law Offices of James M. Chesloe serves clients in Willow Springs, Western Springs, Brookfield, La Grange, Countryside, Hickory Hills, Lyons, Westchester, Stickney, Oak Lawn, and throughout Chicagoland as well as in Cook, DuPage and Will counties.

For a free initial consultation, call 708-579-5353 or Email me today.

James M. Chesloe, LTD, represents clients throughout Illinois, including those in the cities of La Grange, Chicago, La Grange Park, Brookfield, Berwyn, Countryside, Willow Springs, Western Springs, Willowbrook, Indian Head Park, Riverside, North Riverside, Lyons, Westchester and other Western Chicago suburbs as well as the greater counties of Cook, Will and DuPage.
© 2021 James M. Chesloe, Attorney at Law. All rights reserved.    Google Me    Email Me    Disclaimer Powered by